Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

12.01.2006

You Be the Judge

I've been trying to listen to The Witch's Boy, by Michael Gruber in the car, but have almost decided to give up on it. I'll give it to the end of the first disc (of 7) to change my mind, then I'm moving on to something else. It's gotten good reviews, so I can't decide if it's the book itself I don't like or the reader, who is absolutely awful for this material. Either way, I'm not enjoying it.

With that in mind, I requested three possible replacements last night. Which one should be next?

The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier - One of the classics of young adult literature, which I've never read. I figure it's about time.

Eragon, by Christopher Paolini - I thought this was OK when I read it a couple of years ago, but it didn't make much of an impression. I actually don't even remember much of it. But it's wildly popular with the teens, and our fantasy discussion group is going to see the movie in a couple of weeks. I thought maybe I should give it another try.

The Hobbit, by J. R. R. Tolkien - It's been many years since I've read this and it's recently been calling me for another visit. Tolkien is marvelous at spinning an engaging, sensory tale, and reading it in middle school was one of my first experiences of being transported to a magical and wondrous realm. I'd like to go there again.

What should it be?

4 Comments:

At 12/01/2006 3:29 PM, Blogger asdfasdfadfasd said...

The Hobbit!

 
At 12/01/2006 9:18 PM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Chics love chocolate!

Geek girls vote for The Hobbit.

 
At 12/02/2006 9:45 AM, Blogger Leelu said...

Go with the new to you one: The Chocolate War. Eragon is moderately awful, and you've read The Hobbit before.

 
At 12/03/2006 2:40 PM, Blogger scott said...

I liked Eragon. But the Hobbit is one of the best books I've ever read. And, I'm re-reading LoTR, so we can have hobbity discussions of attercops and pipeweed at work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home