Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

1.16.2009

Hoods?

Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. . . . A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits.

Strider (from Fellowship of the Rings) and other sneaky, roguish types are always described as having their faces obscured by shadowy hoods. If it's such a trademark of the type, why do I feel like my awareness is so impeded whenever I wear one due to blocked peripheral vision? They seem counter-productive to me.

3 Comments:

At 1/17/2009 12:03 PM, Blogger Leelu said...

They block your vision, but they also conceal your face, so others can't see you. Hence the shady popularity.

shmimps: an experimental brand of shrimp distributor

 
At 1/17/2009 12:55 PM, Blogger Degolar said...

I get the whole hiding your face thing, but what good does that do you if it leaves you vulnerable to people sneaking up on you? I'd rather be known and alive than unknown and dead.

(Or in contemporary terms, what does it matter if they can't see my face when I back into them, they can still my license plate number.)

 
At 1/17/2009 1:53 PM, Blogger Leelu said...

I never said it made perfect sense.

nounswa: an exclamation made on detecting the perfect word for an object. You're right, that is a klaxon. Nounswa!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home