Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

8.19.2010

Totally Worth It

This post is dedicated to the previous post once removed, RE: How to Be Alone.

While waiting for a friend's group to go on, I stumbled upon Molly Gene: One Whoaman Band as an opening act back in the spring. I was captivated and had been watching her website ever since, hoping for a chance to see her again. Tonight worked great for me and I invited all my friends. None were able to join me. It was a long drive and I thought the fun would be in sharing the experience, so I seriously debated not going. I could have happily continued the conversation with my monthly book club and skipped the experience, but they thankfully pushed me to go on my own. I'm glad they did. In the end I didn't care that I was alone and I had a great experience.

Knuckleheads was worth the drive, in my book. As I was walking to the entrance I overheard someone on the phone: "The place is awesome. It's a shithole, but it's awesome." Yeah. I need to find reasons to go back.

Instead of falling into my instinctive self-consciousness, I decided to just embrace my aloneness and not worry about it. There were only maybe twenty people there for the concert at best; I felt bad for the performers but enjoyed the intimacy and let it be my own personal experience. Didn't quite dance (no one did), but freely bobbed and bounced without embarrassment. One person approached me to talk about the book I was reading while waiting and for a while during Ben's set I was joined at my table by Molly and her friend (girlfriend? - "I wrote this song about my girlfriend. My ex-girlfriend. She got pregnant. And claimed it was mine.")

It was love at first read for the new book--Last Night I Sang to the Monster--which I started after arriving and got a whole 23 pages into. It's too fresh to describe what I'm loving about it and yet too many good quotes to try to narrow it to a representative one. I'll just share the opening lines:

Some people have dogs. Not me. I have a therapist. His name is Adam.

I'd rather have a dog.


When I first saw Molly Gene she was something new to me that I found captivating. She said she had the same experience with her first experience of Ben Prestage and said multiple times he is her hero. I can see why, because I thought he was pretty fucking awesome. After the show I did the 3 CDs for $30 deal, which took every last dollar in my wallet. Don't know him well enough yet to suggest a representative song, but if you're at all intrigued you should take some time to explore. He used at least 4 different guitars as he played various styles.







1 Comments:

At 8/19/2010 6:46 AM, Blogger CDL said...

LIke!

One of my favorite books. I see many longs posts in your future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home