Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

3.13.2011

Where's the Skirt?



I think anyone who sees this image knows that the straight figured symbol indicates male and the skirt wearing one indicates female. It's accepted as universal. Even though, in my recent experience, most women don't wear dresses or skirts most of the time. It's more acceptable and common for them to do so, but the symbol represents an idea more than a reality.

I was just thinking about this the other night at a movie theater. I've been there countless times before, but hadn't really thought about how they mark their bathrooms until it hit me that the skirt was missing. While there are still things to quibble about in the way this also universalizes things about male and female gender roles and expectations, I think it is a big improvement in its focus on general biological characteristics instead of socially constructed ones like clothes.




For a much more extensive consideration of this issue, you might start here.

2 Comments:

At 3/13/2011 11:29 AM, Anonymous KNG said...

I love the pee-pee dance restroom signs! Have to give the Kansas Turnpike people credit for creativity!

 
At 3/13/2011 11:59 AM, Anonymous Julie said...

I see silhouettes of a figure sitting demurely on the toilet (round part is the round seat), and a figure standing "in position," so to speak. Could it be as simple as that -- How You Go? (Of course, that interpretation would occasionally lead extra visitors to the sitting room...hmmmm)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home