Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

11.21.2016

Metaphorical Coherence

The topic of this morning's commute audiobook material: "The subtle power of incoherence."

I want to use that as a title for something.

(If only I had plans to create something that needed a title.)

Oh, and the source, with the quote in context:

More nonsense posts to come from that book soon, I'm sure.



I love this as a metaphor that, often, both realities are true.
Rare Time Paradox Makes These Twins Both Older Than Each Other

 . . . Samuel was born at 1:39 AM on Sunday, November 6th, while Ronan took 31 minutes longer. Now the shift of Daylight Savings Time happens at 2 AM, so instead of 2:10 AM, Ronan’s official time of birth turned into 1:10 AM, making both of the babies older than each other! . . .



I recently started using a CPAP machine for my newly diagnosed sleep apnea. I have the most minimal mask, with two little openings that push a steady stream of air into my nostrils. This is good because it keeps my airways open during sleep when they might otherwise close up. It is also a very strange and sometimes difficult sensation for exhalation--I have to push air out while the machine pushes air in.

At first it was almost suffocating. I felt like I couldn't exhale without tremendous strain, which made me feel winded and in need of faster breaths, which were impeded by the machine, which was a spiraling cycle that sometimes found me ripping the mask off and gasping for air. Even when I could withstand that temptation, it still left me feeling like my breathing was labored and I had difficulty falling asleep.

Except, I realized, when I woke from sleep later, I wasn't having any trouble exhaling. I didn't even really feel the air pushing in any more, and there was no resistance to pushing air out. Once I relaxed, the dynamic changed. It took some practice, but I finally figured out how to achieve that state from the start.

It seems counter-intuitive, but the trick is to stop fighting. I have to stop framing the issue as air coming in and air going out in opposition to each other. I have to stop pushing. Because if I can just relax enough, the air finds a way to flow through in both directions simultaneously. But only when I don't try to force it. Only when I stop trying and give in does it work out.

Don't ask me how or why, it just does.



Speaking of metaphors, I'm sure there must be one here somewhere . . . 
Found: Two Moose Frozen Together in a Final Battle

In western Alaska, a man from Unalakleet came across these two unfortunate moose frozen into the river. Their antlers are locked together: they were fighting when they died. . . .



And the spot of condensation inside a double-paned window where I work seems to have developed eyes today.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home