Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

7.26.2006

A Break from the Kiddy Books

Even though I’ve got a pile of kids books on my desk to get through before they become overdue, I’ve been reenergizing with adult reads the last few days (even our book for next month’s teen fantasy discussion group is an adult one, Neil Gaiman’s Anansi Boys). Although I do have to recommend the YA book I most recently read, Dread Locks (Dark Fusion Series, #1), by Neal Shusterman. It’s a very nice reworking of the Medusa myth set in the contemporary world and starring a teen boy. Fast-paced, dark, and suspenseful, with a strong ending.

But the mythology theme seems to have stuck because I finally started a graphic novel series that Hadrian recommended to me a while back: Fables, by Bill Willingham. The premise is that Cinderella, Beauty & the Beast, Old King Cole, and countless other characters from tales and rhymes have had to flee their individual realms to the last safe haven available, the “mundane” world of New York City. There they have established Fabletown, an underground community with a mayor, sheriff, and such while blending in with the “mundies” and going about their everyday lives. I requested the second volume as soon as I finished the first, and expect to have read all seven before too long.

I also picked back up with Y: The Last Man, by Brian Vaughan. I’d read the first five volumes as the library received them but then forgot to watch for the newer ones. I just finished volume six, should get number seven soon, and am on the list for eight, which is still on order. It’s another excellent graphic novel in which all males on Earth mysteriously and instantly die. The only survivors, for unknown reasons, are Yorick and his pet monkey. Needless to say, the sudden deaths throw the world into a bit of chaos and turn Yorick into a commodity. He finds a few allies in his efforts to figure out why he is still alive while trying to find a way to Australia, where his fiancé was when he lost contact with her.

And, thanks again to Hadrian for getting me on the holds list as soon as the book was ordered, I just started The Blood Knight, the third entry in Greg Keyes The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series. This is a more traditional fantasy novel series, but an excellent one. It’s a bit too complex to relate much about it in a short space, except to say I’ve dropped everything else to start on it right away. If you like this kind of thing at all, I recommend giving it a try.

4 Comments:

At 7/26/2006 6:47 PM, Blogger Hadrian said...

I got my copy of the Blood Knight, determined I didn't remember enough of The Briar King or The Charnel Prince to start it without an intense review, and then further determined I simply did not have enough time to read it in the next couple of weeks, so with much regret, turned it in. I think I may try to plow through all three books over Christmas break.

 
At 7/26/2006 8:01 PM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Give in to the dark side.... it is your destiny.

I heart comics. And mythology. So now I will have to seek out comic mythology. Err, sorry.... graphic novel mythology.

I always like it when you guys talk about books. Reminds me of when I had a life, and time to read!

My new purchase of "Why Girls are Weird" arrived. Now I have to finish it so I can get my crush on when Pam Ribon comes to town.

 
At 7/26/2006 10:02 PM, Blogger Degolar said...

I thought about looking online for a summary of the two books, Hadrian, but decided to just plow into it with my vague memories. It actually hasn't been too bad. I remember all the important stuff, just am fuzzy about a few of the details. And I haven't been disappointed it yet.

Oh, yeah, TGIB, I was going to ask you about your Pam Ribon crush. I'd never heard of her until you mentioned her on your blog. Does she have ties to Kansas that she'd be visiting Topeka? Very cool, but strange.

And I seem to be doing more of my "reading" lately while in the car, listening to audio books (although not the graphic novels). Time-saving and enjoyable.

 
At 7/27/2006 10:23 AM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Now that I have my iPod, I will be able to enjoy audiobooks much more. When riding in a vehicle with two kids (only one by my birth), it isn't worth the fight to try and follow an audiobook. But now I'll be able to put on my headphones and tune out the others.

I'm not sure what the Topeka connection is to Ms. Ribon. I figured someone at the library called in a favor, or is a fan of her site. She seems funny in an approachable way. And her hubby is cute, too.

I'm also a shameless entertainment news hussy (thanks to working with Ali's mom, and hearing all the industry scoop). So when Pamie starts blogging about it, in her very humourous way... I'm hooked.

You'll be sure to hear how stalking, I mean meeting, her goes~! : P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home