Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

11.06.2006

Defining My Tastes

While sampling a CD on the way home from work tonight I had a minor hiccup of an epiphany for articulating my musical tastes. Chances are I'm not going to like a particular song if it can be described with the terms smooth or groove. I much prefer desriptors like percussive, herky-jerky, edge, and raw.

3 Comments:

At 11/07/2006 1:27 PM, Blogger Kelly Sime said...

must explain the liking of the violent femmes

ick

 
At 11/07/2006 3:35 PM, Blogger David Crowe said...

I had herky-jerky once. A bit gamey. Why is everyone looking at me like that?

As for music tastes, I am with you on the raw, edge, and stuff. However, I do enjoy a smooth groove from time to time. I pretty much listen to anything, and if I don't like it, I change the channel or cd or cassette or skip it or whatever. Mostly I like music with soul. It has to touch me in some way, although every now and then I love a good nonsense song that means absolutely nothing so I can just flail to the music.

And what is wrong with the Violent Femmes? What's not to like? Their violent and they are femmes. Though, come to think of it, I think there is a guy or two in there. I'll have to look into that. Well, not into them, but into whether there are penises involved... Oh you know what I mean.

 
At 11/07/2006 4:07 PM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

As lummox said...

There is a music for most every mood. My iPod is cycling a lot of Everclear songs from World of Noise today.

Craig Montoya's bass lines reminded me while I love that album so much. He must also subscribe to the penis theory... and used this saying a lot to describe his musical style: "rock with your [rhymes with rock] out"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home