Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

11.03.2007

Not Quite Video Games, But a Format Discussion

Like most English majors -- and like most of the book-buying public, still -- I had scoffed at the idea of a novel translating to digital format. Reflexively, and over many waves of e-books being touted but failing to catch on, I insisted that only i-books would do.

If it didn't have ink stuck to paper, paper glued together, it wasn't anything that could rightly be called a "book."

But we have learned in recent years that great songs can thrive without being pinned to a circular platter; that news writing and television shows can migrate to the Internet and convey all the information they did in their traditional formats, in some cases more.

This knowledge, plus my tiring of spending commutes in numbing e-mail maintenance, led me to look for something more to do with my BlackBerry, one of the new categories of so-called smart phones that are more like mini-computers than long-range walkie-talkies.

I have a chess game on there, but not the patience to play. Brickbreaker, BlackBerry's native time-wasting ball-and-paddle game, bores me. I eschew sudoku.

So why not try a novel? . . .

The experience taught me that a book is not what I had thought it to be. It is not, in any important sense, typeface, paper stock or cover art. A book is, foremost, the arrangement of words in sequence, and they are, to borrow a buzz-phrase from the digital folk, platform agnostic. . . .


Steve Johnson: Hypertext

1 Comments:

At 11/03/2007 11:11 AM, Blogger CDL said...

Ah, one of those words we learned in library school - convergence.

As he writes: But the sales growth -- while still a pebble on the beach compared with sales of print books -- can also be attributed to a growing acceptance of all things digital, growing use of more sophisticated portable devices, especially phones, and an increasing comfort level with experimentation.

It may just take time before everything is in order and can be accepted. For me, still woking on the audio book thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home