Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

6.16.2008

About the Previous Post

So my first thought at reading the article about Japan's new regulation was how impossible a standard it is and how I might communicate that visually. As I was creating the post, I realized there was a bit of glory days vanity mixed in with what I was doing. So that’s there in those pictures. More than that, though, is embarrassment at what I've let myself become. Looking at the pics is good motivation, because sometimes I forget that I was once happily healthy like that; it's easy to accept that who I am now is who I must be, when that isn't necessarily the case.

My weight has yo-yoed my whole life, but even through the thin periods I've always thought of myself as a big guy. The summer before my senior year in high school I spent the days painting or roofing houses, went home and had dinner, lifted for football a couple of hours, then trained with my younger brother's Jr. Olympics track & field relay team until dark. Then slept, got up the next morning, and did it all again. I'd already been skipping lunch during the previous spring semester, so I was strong and fit heading into that year of football and swim team. Then I let myself go for a year in college before starting a Slim Fast diet. Halfway through, I started running with my dad's high school cross country/track team. That's how I achieved the weight in the pictures and decided to run for my college team.

That first picture, especially, is much more than a vanity one. Early in my running phase that led to the college team (I grew up running with my coach dad then let it go in high school to become a "weight man"), I went to a college cross country meet with my dad and brother as spectators. I was enthralled by the elite runners who vied for the win. They were so fleet and graceful and sustained a pace for miles that most people would struggle to maintain for a minute. It was awesome. I wanted to experience that kind of physical freedom and mastery. I was only average in college, never making it to the level I witnessed, but this picture was taken on the same course a few years later and it captures in me a version of what I saw in them. It captures the joy of running for me, and reminds me why I love it. Even if I never experience that kind of fitness again, with reminders like this I'll always be drawn toward it. It’s a wonderful experience.

2 Comments:

At 6/25/2008 7:03 PM, Blogger asdfasdfadfasd said...

I know what you mean by the physical freedom and mastery thing. As a teenager, I got the same feeling watching Chinese Wushu performers. Their speed, grace, and technique is amazing. Watching that kind of thing always made me want to learn a martial art, but I never did. These days, I don't watch that so much, but I get impressed in the same kind of way watching really good mixed martial artists.

 
At 11/17/2009 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home