Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

12.29.2010

I Suppose 10:15 Isn't the Ideal Time to Start a Walk

. . . but damp, windy nights energize me and I spent all night reading a book. Following a post-work nap, accompanied by a Mt. Dew, kettle corn, pickles, and cheese (Indian buffet for lunch left me not too hungry). Plus I don't work until noon tomorrow.



A review of the book:

I thought about making the claim that this is the best book on leadership I've read, but A) my reading on the topic is spotty enough to make the claim mean little, and B) it spoke to my values and philosophy so completely I'm not sure there's any objectivity in my opinion. It certainly didn't challenge my thinking or stretch me, but it did articulate things for me very nicely and leave me feeling validated and confirmed.

Many books of this type consist mainly of obvious, empty platitudes and the text isn't even necessary if you pay attention to the chapters titles and section headings. This was the opposite--the text deepened my understanding of titles and headings that needed elaborating, so it never felt long-winded or got boring. Kurtzman writes with an easy, accessible style mostly free of business jargon, and he balances general principles with research, experience, and anecdotes. I really recommend this one.

Common Purpose: How Great Leaders Get Organizations to Achieve the Extraordinary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home