Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

8.20.2011

How to Tell a Story

Lately I've enjoyed reading both the books and the blog of YA author Andrew Smith, so I hope he doesn't mind what follows. Last week he wove a story through a number of his posts, with numerous points about writing mixed in. It all starts with the idea of a "Suicide Prevention Pit Bull." As a bit of an outline of shortcuts, here are links to the relevant posts in (not reverse) chronological order:

the solution den - In honor of SCBWI LA this week, I am going to offer a special conference session on writing today. I may have another one about something else all SCBWI-ey tomorrow. . . .

agent and editor tips and tricks (part one) - In regards to my Suicide Prevention Pit Bull, I received some messages from readers who mistakenly assumed the mechanism of effect is contingent upon the establishment of companionship. No. . . .

agent and editor tips and tricks (part two) - Let's see. Where was I? Oh yeah... a dog that had been genetically modified by crossbreeding among wasps and grizzly bears was chewing on my favorite left wrist. . . .

(Weekend interlude)the vice president's balls - Well. Nobody reads blogs on Saturdays, which is too bad. I think there are a lot of hungover people in Los Angeles this morning. That's what happens at writers' conferences. But not here. Not at this conference, where you get all the good shit you need. . . .

all my stuff - Well, if nobody reads blogs on Saturdays, then Sundays are dead in the water. The Andrew Smith How to Be a Writer Conference will continue tomorrow, with the conclusion of the Suicide Prevention Pit Bull story. . . . (/interlude)

a writer's conference in continuous session - For those of you who did not read agent and editor tips and tricks (part one), let me catch you up: I wanted to live, live, live. A dog was chewing on my arm. . . .

the keynote (part one) - One of those French writer guys who kept getting invited to fancy parties and alternately exiled or thrown in jails said, My job is to say what I think. Today, a lot of writers spend more time on the job saying, but do very little thinking in preparation for their blatherfests. . . .

the keynote (part two) - I am a recorder of all things regular. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home