Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

9.23.2016

Sleeping Is a Gateway Drug to Being Awake Again

While hanging at the corner of River and Poor Farm . . .


A few recent pictures, but first a different bit of randomness: a snippet of lyrics from each track, in order, of the They Might Be Giants album The Spine. I had this idea a few weeks ago while listening to it in the car, so we'll see if it holds up to implementation.
The Spine

I already know the ending--it's
The part that makes your face implode.
I don't know what makes your face implode,
But that's the way the movie ends.

And I've been walkin' my fingers through my mind,
And I've been feelin' this feelin' in my spine.

I'm good here in the back,
I'm good all by myself.
I'm busy taking stock of all the things that I've forgot,
And making mental notes of just exactly where I lost the plot.

Turning to drugs to help you sleep,
Will only lead to sleep,
And sleeping is a gateway drug to being awake,
Being awake, being awake again.

Can you tell that I'm planning prevenge?
Read my mind, yes, I'm planning prevenge.

Before you fall, you have to learn to crawl.
You can't see heaven when you're standing tall.
To get the whole sky,
On the ground you have to lie.

Some crazy bastard wants to hit me!
He's waving me over so he can hit me.
And who the hell is he?
I can't believe this is happening.
That crazy bastard wants to hit me.

I'm trapped in a world before later on.
Where's my hovercraft?
Where's my jet pack?
Where's the font of acquired wisdom that eludes me now?
We're trapped in a world before later on.

They built this whole neighborhood,
Out of wood, out of wood.
I guess I'll still be around,
When they burn, burn it down. . . .
Chop me up into pieces,
If it pleases, if it pleases,
And when the chopping is through,
Every piece will say "I love you."

Hard to justify a party band,
To somebody with no party plans.

Gonna make you cry,
Gonna make you crawl,
Gonna make you fall in love again.

Jodie Foster held two pair;
Bach had three of a kind.
Gandhi said, "With my full house,
I will blow your mind!"

Can she do the karaoke? Yes she can, but she won't,
'Cause she's highly qualified and she's not a joke.
When it comes to opera, she is ossified,
So all of you operas better step aside.

You said "I'm gonna run you down."
I heard "I'm an orangutan." . . .
I would go back to the top of the day from scratch,
If I thought this thing could be fixed,
Though sadly I'd do exactly the same thing.

I once had a dream,
Of a gleam in my eye,
And I'll have it till the day I die.
I had a thought bubble,
Of trouble and strife,
And I'll have it for the rest of my life.

I've got my house surrounded.
I know I'm in there.
Come out with both my hands up,
And don't make me come in and get me.
Don't make me come in and get me.
I can't hide from my mind,
Though I try, try, try.
I can't hide from my mind,
And you know why.
Hmm . . . Sold on the album?









We're trapped in a world before later on.

1 Comments:

At 9/23/2016 1:17 PM, Blogger Degolar said...

They Might Be Giants - The Spine (Full Album):

https://youtu.be/95arhj6126o?list=PLRi4SWBgYP1c0I79KlEsekHMPwZxSfjPY

 

Post a Comment

<< Home