Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

2.14.2017

Going on Record as a Nut Job

A still life

As a skeptical librarian who holds verifiable facts in high esteem and has a fascination with the irrationality of the human brain, I generally scoff at conspiracy theories. Particularly in light of what I consider the silliness of the nonsense spouted by the right about President Obama and Hillary Clinton, I've tried very hard to make sure I'm not caught up in a filter bubble echo chamber of extreme, fake ideas about the current administration. So I have this thought that appeals to a side of me that I believe must surely be detached from reality, as much as it makes a certain kind of sense to me. I'm at best agnostic about the truth of it. But since the current administration is all about alternative takes on events and the head honcho is a spinner of tales, here's a story. Take it or leave it as you will.

It's hard to believe that Michael Flynn's resignation is a solitary act related to a solitary incident. It seems much more likely that he acted on orders and is now taking the fall in the hopes of stemming further investigation into events. Parts of the infamous dossier have been verified, and key players have refused to discuss it--which could possibly be an indication that they don't want to undermine an ongoing investigation they believe might bear fruit. I'm looking at a headline right now that reads Russia: The Scandal Trump Can't Shake. So, clearly, I'm not the only one who thinks something doesn't smell right about all of it.

But I don't really think it's about bedroom activities (or bathroom activities in the bedroom, if you prefer). I have no doubt in my belief that he sees his position as, first and foremost, a vehicle for advancing his business interests. That, more than anything else, is his top agenda. There's a way that ties into the Russian blackmail theories. He's surely, over the course of his career as a real estate magnate, done some illegal things. Things like bribing officials to get permits approved and other "greasing of the wheels" to eliminate red tape. He's also, I'm sure, found ways for his money to influence government officials to have them work to further his ends. That would surprise few people.

But government bureaucracy isn't the only power in the game. There's the competition, of course. And there's the underworld. The Russian mob, for instance, is very active in New York City, his base of operations. Now, just suppose for a minute that he's done business with that particular power. It's a matter of record he's done legitimate business with Russian interests, so it's not that much of a stretch to suppose he's done illegitimate business with shady Russian interests as well. Deals on the street that are mutually beneficial. Deals that could make him complicit in things like smuggling, drugs, extortion, sex workers, and the murderous fallout of such business. Not the primary actor, necessarily, but a partner who has aided the transactions. What if that's the nature of the blackmail material? That he's not worried about scandal, but jail?


So who am I to conjecture so? No one. My reality is as far removed from this as possible. I have no relevant expertise. I have done no investigation. I'm not even going to bother tracking down the things I've read that have sent my mind in this direction. Things like his flippant lack of concern that Putin is a killer because we've got killers too. Or that the last-minute leaks about the non-existent investigation into emails that were influential on the election came NYC police, NYC FBI agents, and NYC former mayors. Things that could make a pattern if other connecting items secretly exist. Things that make a good story. Because that's all I am, just a guy who loves fiction.

But what if this isn't?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home