Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

8.01.2006

How to Vote

I don’t have anything really insightful to say about this and I suppose I should be desensitized to it by now, but it still galls. Today’s an election day and we’re a polling site. I haven’t been back out to check on them, but this morning when I pulled into work there was a group stationed just beyond the allowable distance handing out guides for voting pro-life. It’s not that I’m anti-pro-life, it’s just their approach. I may not be the most educated voter ever, but I try to know a little something about the candidates and issues before I arrive at the polling site. And who I decide to vote for will be based on more than a single factor. If the only thing you know about your candidate is that he/she is against abortion, how can you trust the person to make informed decisions that represent your interests about anything else? Even if it is the issue you feel is more important than any other, you have to acknowledge there are other things to take into consideration, don’t you? Or is that how we’ve ended up with the current administration, which seems wholly incapable of administrating anything except an (failing) attempt to force its values on the world?

3 Comments:

At 8/02/2006 1:22 AM, Blogger asdfasdfadfasd said...

Those pro-lifers with the signs and what not always really annoy me. Whenever I see them I always want to set up across the street from them with a shop vac and a hand-painted sign that says "Abortions 5 Dollars!"

They really refuse to think that there are more important things to worry about in this country.

 
At 8/02/2006 11:38 AM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Or the financial impact of them imposing their beliefs upon others.

If you ever asked one of them "would you take in every baby you want to save... make suitable arrangements for visitation with the birth parents... pay for the child's education and upbringing... and oh yeah, give him as much love as you would your own children?"...

I would imagine they would give an answer that is in contrast to their zealot crusade.

Those people piss me off to no end. Forget about what is the most sane and logical solution to an emotional problem... we have to make sure others aren't doing something we don't want them to do!

Grr

 
At 8/02/2006 11:40 AM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Oh yeah, in getting emotionally riled up, I forgot...

Besides, the prolifers shouldn't be trying to convince folks how to vote in a political realm. Since you know... religion shouldn't be influencing public works. They should be paying attention to economics.

Whatever, call me idealistic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home