Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

8.10.2006

Speaking of Kiddy Books

I don’t think I’ve mentioned yet on either of my blogs that one of my favorite books as a youngster was Uncle Shelby’s ABZ Book by Shel Silverstein. I can’t have been too young because I got the humor and remember it well, but some say this might explain a bit about me (that, and the summer that I fell hard on my head three times*). Upon doing research as an adult I’ve learned that it was meant as a parody of his other kids books, but my original yellowed, decaying copy doesn’t have the “A Primer for Adults Only” warning label on it that all newer printings have had. I thought it was the funniest thing ever (and still do). The order is a little off, but you can basically read it through scanned images at banned-width. Click for an introduction, some of the pages, continued, and the rest.

*My parents were teachers, which gave them the luxury of directing a small church camp each summer. One year—I must have been 6 or 7—I fell on my head three times. The first time I was trying to slip around someone while crossing a small footbridge over a dry creek bed. I toppled off the edge and went headfirst into a rock at the bottom. It can’t have been too deep, but I remember having to scramble back up an incline to dad while crying and holding my head. The next time I was going down the super long slide that came out of the tree house/fort. The metal was hot and burning my legs, so I pulled them up and grabbed the sides in an attempt to stop myself. One hand must have caught better than the other, because I tumbled off the side. That time, at least, I landed on grass. The final incident occurred at the pool. Dad went down the concrete steps to the mechanical room underneath it and I decided to follow him . . . on my bike. We hadn’t even heard of cycling helmets in those days, so when I flipped over the handlebars I got another lump. No doctor visits for any of them, so we’ll never know for sure if my brains were scrambled or not that year.

1 Comments:

At 8/10/2006 9:38 PM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Fell on your head three times in one summer, eh?

Hmm... that uses like it would be a helpful phrase to use in many situations.

I love Shel Silverstein. Now will definitely have to check out the book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home