Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

8.03.2006

A Misanthropic Profession?

If you spend any time in library circles, you will come across discussions about how librarians get a bad rap. The traditional librarian stereotype is often described with words such as stern, severe, mean, harsh, unfriendly, bossy, and the like. Librarians have even given a name to the image of the older lady with her hair in a bun, glasses on the end of her nose, and her finger ready to shush: Marian the Librarian. I’ve never felt that the image represents much about myself and you will find me and plenty of others in the profession lamenting the fact that we can’t seem to change a stereotype that’s been around forever no matter what we do. Which makes me wonder, is it really based solely on impressions from the past or are there still librarians today continuing the legacy of Marian?

It’s a question I generally don’t worry about, figuring I can only affect the people I encounter and can’t do much about the profession as a whole. Yet my adventures in blogging have confronted me with the issue once again. I’ve been meaning for a while to add some fun library links to this blog and finally got around to it last week. In my searches to find sites I wanted to link to, though, most of what I found fell into one of two categories: professional and earnest (and thus not “fun” enough for this, which I consider a recreational pursuit); or mocking and rather mean-spirited. True, the popular writers in this second category have sharp tongues, a lot of wit, and are generally good for a laugh, but they have me contemplating what they say about the profession.

I know every job comes with its gripes and complaints and it’s a relief to find a forum where you can vent, can say the things you have to hold in while remaining professional and doing the job. It’s especially nice to share your frustrations with a sympathetic ear, and a good bitch session every so often can actually be productive. But the tone of what I’m encountering in the library world seems a bit different to me. The best comparison I can make is to the education world. My parents are both teachers and I was a school librarian for a number of years, so I’ve heard (and contributed) plenty of teacher negativity about students, parents, administrators, colleagues, etc. But it seemed like the grumbling was almost always due to frustration that the desire to do good and help students was in some way being thwarted. Underlying the hatred for that nemesis student remained a wish to still see him/her grow into a mature, capable adult.

I’m not sure I get that sense in many of the librarian rants I encounter, though. I know a majority of librarians are all about customer service and what I’m seeing is only a percentage, and librarians are early technology adapters so they are more likely to have blogs than others, but it still seems like a relatively high proportion of the profession feels actual disdain toward patrons. There’s an air of superiority to the mocking, a particular pleasure in expounding on the idiocy of the general public. So I’m wondering if I’m just lacking a sense of humor these days and missing the subtle nuances of sophisticated sarcasm or if I’m seeing Marian still rearing her ugly head.

4 Comments:

At 8/03/2006 7:05 PM, Blogger Hadrian said...

Oh, if only there were more of those librarians...(sigh). Oh, so much to say here, but then, I am terribly misanthropic. The mocking and mean-spiritedness is a safety valve. When you have to suffer fools all day long with nary a word, ranting in your free time is down-right necessary.

It's been my experience that those who you describe as "professional and earnest" are generally not the same people that provide the actual face-to-face customer service. It's easy to not be snarky when you're one step removed from the idiots. And here is the other thing: I've had plenty of customer service jobs, from retail to the high stress job of emergency dispatching, and never have I been treated as badly by the public as I was as a library clerk, day in and day out. Not even close. While as a dispatcher I did suffer the occasional outburst of profanity (and insanity-- you'd be surprised how many truly unbalanced people there are out there), I never felt like every day was a long grind of condescension and disrespect from the public like I often did at the library. I think it must have something to do with a sense of entitlement that people have towards publicly provided services. Perhaps some of the frustration you're picking up from those other librarians is in part caused by "the desire to do good and help... being thwarted" by a rude, demanding, and unappreciative public. I think the shushing librarian might be long overdue for a comeback. And I'll stop now, before I reeeeeallly start ranting.

 
At 8/03/2006 9:28 PM, Blogger asdfasdfadfasd said...

The problem with the library is that policy requires you to take shit from people. If someone is being pissy, you litterally have to bend over and allow them to ass-fuck you (and you must smile while they do it). The public can do or say whatever they want to you and you have to stand there and take it. Someone could call you a pig fucker and stab you in the arm, and you would get fired for shouting out "God damnit!" Then they'd apologize to the psycho and waive their 15 cent fine.

So much of the public takes this amazing free resource for granted. They don't appreciate what it is, and they shit all over it. Literally. In the book drop.

The demographics of the branch Hadrian and I work(ed) at was another problem. Old white assholes who think that they are the only thing that matters and that their seniority gives them the right to be douchebags. God damned old people, what with their weather channel and their Judge Judy and their loud music.

 
At 8/03/2006 10:08 PM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Gobula and Hadrian are much better qualified than I to speak of such issues, but I concur... only a rare few appreciate or respect a free resource. They take for granted the calm a library offers.

Parents let their unmanageable children wander there, since they usually cannot be arrested or thrown out of a "public" place. Those already under-educated or ill-mannered in social settings become even more belligerent when required to research their desire. So what makes them feel better? To act cooler than the staff.

And hopefully you are right, in that while library staff vent and every day seems frustrating... they still hope some hope that society in general will wise up. Get some manners, and stop sinking even lower into its own despair. At least that is what I think when I see (and hear) hooligan kids talking too loud and making general arses of themselves while I'm trying to read. I'd still rather shush them.

I'm not sure if April the Danger Hat girl ever came up with a librarian roller derby identity. She just started a gig in a Columbus public library. We were trying to convince her to be Marian the Barbarian Librarian. That would rock!

 
At 8/05/2006 2:18 PM, Blogger Marian The said...

I know what you mean, and I really try in my posts to not sound condescending. What I try to convey is just the strangeness and humor of the odd people who come in to the library--I really love my job and I hope that comes across!
A lot of people do ask "stupid questions" but they only seem stupid because we hear them 800 times a day. There's no way someone can be expected to intuitively understand our timeout software on the first try!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home