Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

12.21.2006

On Hearding Books

A few years ago I had a week of vacation heading into Thanksgiving. The spouse still had work and I didn’t have anything special going on, so I decided to get away. I grew up going to a camp in the Pike National Forest on the back of Pike’s Peak, plus my family took a number of vacations in that area. My dad, brother, and I have hiked the Barr Trail from Manitou Springs (next to Colorado Springs) up to the top twice. So it’s a nostalgic area for me, and I’m always drawn to visit again. I tried taking my wife one time and she had horrible altitude sickness, so she’s not real keen on ever going back. So I made a reservation with a cabin in the area, loaded up one of our dogs, and headed out for four days of solo hiking. A snowstorm blew in on the afternoon of the first day before I could become acclimatized enough to do anything ambitious, plus it killed the car for a couple of days which meant I had to explore the cabin area instead of the old trails I remembered. Still, it was a good trip and I’d do it again sometime.

What this is leading up to, though, is that I listened to Neil Gaiman’s American Gods on that trip. Our car stereo only had a CD player and the audio was only available to me on tape, so I had to use a little walkman and headphones. Even with fresh batteries, the player was too weak to wind the tapes at full speed, so I heard the novel slightly distorted. Nevertheless, it was a great listen and the book ranks as one of my favorites.

I bring all of this up because Stephen King wrote a recent column for Entertainment Weekly about audiobooks, and he ranks American Gods as the tenth best audiobook he’s ever listened to (click for the entire list). Like King, I love audiobooks. Not all books are written for the ear, but those that are, when read by a good reader, are an amazing experience. I couldn't decide if it was the writing or the reader, but a lousy listening experience recenty led me to give up on The Witch's Boy; an excellent reader moved The Minister's Daughter to the top of my favorites list. And listening to audiobooks is reading. I helped my wife write a grant to get some for her English classroom, and there is plenty of research to show that listening to books improves reading ability. Some excerpts from King:

Some critics — the always tiresome Harold Bloom among them — claim that listening to audiobooks isn't reading. I couldn't disagree more. In some ways, audio perfects reading. . . .

. . . when these things are good, they are really good. A Charles Dickens novel read by the late David Case is something you can almost bathe in. A suspense novel is more suspenseful — especially in the hands of a good reader — because your eye can't jump ahead and see what happens next. When I heard Kathy Bates reading The Silence of the Lambs (an abridgment, alas), I was driving at night and had to shut off the CD player, even though I knew how the story went. It was her voice, so low and intimate and somehow knowing. It was flat creeping me out.

I knew even better how the short story "1408" went, because I not only wrote it, I recorded it. Still, I wasn't prepared for the scream of trumpets the director had added at the very end of the story. My pulse rate spiked and I tore the headphones off my ears. That was a true sting.

There's this, too: Audio is merciless. It exposes every bad sentence, half-baked metaphor, and lousy word choice. (Listen to a Tom Clancy novel on CD, and you will never, ever read another. You'll never be able to look at another one without gibbering.) I can't remember ever reading a piece of work and wondering how it would look up on the silver screen, but I always wonder how it will sound. Because, all apologies to Mr. Bloom, the spoken word is the acid test. They don't call it storytelling for nothing.

2 Comments:

At 12/21/2006 3:44 PM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

the girl in black said...

I *love* American Gods. Hopefully it is made into a movie. That would rock.

Glad you got to get away. Even if not as much as you'd have liked. We stayed a week at Lake Vallecito couple of years ago. It was a fun time.

PS: Blogger hates me, since I'm not signed up for google. Fasicts.

 
At 12/29/2006 8:27 AM, Blogger Hadrian said...

When I read Terry Pratchett, it's Nigel Planer's voice that I hear in my head.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home