Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

1.08.2007

What's a Library For?

I've been collecting these links and meaning to write some deep thought or other about them, but don't think I'm going to get around to it anytime soon. So instead of my conclusions you can read those of others. I'm not quite sure where I finally come down, anyway. As I've said before, I feel like the library has a role as a community gathering place. At the same time, though, it's not a gym and should still be for inside voices and polite behavior. And while there are libraries specifically designed to be archival and most of them aren't us, we need to try to maintain some kind of balance and can't completely be just about the latest popular fluff. There should be a place for both.

1) A New York Times Article about a library that is so fed up with rowdy kids wrecking the place after school that they're simply closing during those hours.

2) A Washington Post Article about weeding dusty classics to make way for newer popular books in light of limited shelf space.

3) The best take I've seen which sees a link between the two at Pop Goes the Library.

4) A funny take on the whole matter by the Annoyed Librarian that I think some of you especially will enjoy.

3 Comments:

At 1/08/2007 10:18 PM, Blogger Hadrian said...

hehe... I DID enjoy that.

 
At 1/11/2007 7:37 PM, Blogger asdfasdfadfasd said...

Penis.

 
At 1/11/2007 10:06 PM, Blogger Degolar said...

. . . mightier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home