Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

4.04.2007

Is This You?

This is what you should know about me: I'm bland. I'm milk. Worse, I'm water. Worse yet, I'm a water glass--at least water can change shape or become some other form, like ice or vapor. Instead, I'm bland and rigid and everyone can look right through me and see that there's nothing. I've got nothing. I'm walking wallpaper. I almost wish I had a broken nose, or a cauliflower ear, or a scar across my face, somethig that you would remember. If there were something on the outside to grab some girl's attention, she might see that I was a good person, a quality person. Most girls just look once and don't see me, and move on.

I just started reading As Simple as Snow by Gregory Galloway and it looks to be a good book. But it does seem to be a little typical in that it's about a self-described typical, boring guy telling the story of how he fell for some dark, unpredictable, intriguing girl; loved her and appreciated her as no one else, so he is our straight-man narrator who gives us insight into her mysterious yet charismatic character. Reminds me of Stargirl and Looking for Alaska and a number of other YA titles I've read. Yet I think the formula continues to work because so many guys can relate to feeling quietly bland and longing for an exciting girl like that. Am I wrong?

5 Comments:

At 4/05/2007 6:45 AM, Blogger Degolar said...

So, then, the answer to my questions is no?

 
At 4/05/2007 9:37 AM, Blogger Leelu said...

I'm not a guy, I can't say. It is a common theme, though.

 
At 4/05/2007 7:10 PM, Blogger CDL said...

Can't say either, and in fact, for a while, it seems like that was the theme in almost every YA book I was reading and it got old. I may not have enjoyed Abundance of Katherines for that reason.

What I liked about Simple is the first line. It says everything about the story right up front. "Anna Cayne had moved here in August just before our sophomore year, but by February she had, one by one, killed everyone in town." I even started a list of great first lines after reading that one.

I can't even say that chicks like that theme because they enjoy the power they have over boys. But maybe.

 
At 4/07/2007 9:44 PM, Blogger edh said...

I would compare the impact of this "boy narrator" book to Gail Giles' Playing in Traffic.

 
At 4/09/2007 7:14 AM, Blogger CDL said...

Playing in Traffic is great. More tension than this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home