Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

11.26.2007

All Things to All People

I know it's not possible for libraries to be everything we would like them to be, yet I can still dream. I see a huge mission for what we could ideally accomplish. Unfortunately, reality may force us to choose. As part of our library's long-term planning, we were just asked to take a short survey. First we needed to select five of the following we consider most important and then the one we consider the absolute most important. I had a lot of trouble with this.

Help students succeed in school by providing homework help

Provide public internet access

Provide genealogy and local history resources

Teach people of all ages how to find, evaluate, and use information

Create young readers by supporting emergent literacy

Help citizens be informed about local, national, and world affairs

Provide comfortable public and virtual spaces for people to visit

Support the development of businesses and nonprofit organizations

Help people express their creativity and share content--both online and in the 'real' world

Reading, listening, and viewing for pleasure: Provide resources for reader, viewer, and listeners to stimulate their imaginations and enjoy

Help people find fast facts

Help people find jobs and develop their careers

Help people make informed decisions about managing their health, finances, and make other life choices

Help adults, teens, and families learn to read and write

Help lifelong learners satisfy their curiosity about whatever they want to know

Provide information about local community resources and services

Help new immigrants succeed


(When I went back to copy-paste these for this post, they were in a different order; apparently it's random each time.)

2 Comments:

At 11/26/2007 8:09 PM, Blogger Leelu said...

I didn't like the available options. Call me lazy, but I think we provide access to information, not career counseling, etc. Options like "Help people find jobs and develop their careers" and "Support the development of businesses and nonprofit organizations" smacks a little too much of somebody else's job to me. I don't have a magic Vocational Guidance Counselor wand [/Monty Python] to speed you on your way and I don't think the library is an employment agency. I'll show you books on resumes, but I'm not about to help you write one. The options on that survey seem to be pointing us in the direction of general gopher and dogsbody.

 
At 11/27/2007 10:21 AM, Blogger Degolar said...

I agree that it seems like some of these are specialties of certain segments of the staff. I have to admit, one of my five was emergent literacy because it's what I do and believe in. I would suspect others are voting for their core functions as well.

Yet despite my beliefs that we do need to provide a comfortable environment and promote "reading, listening, and viewing for pleasure" and the like, I couldn't vote for them. There were other options I consider even more essential to our basic mission.

But I don't get that message from our patrons. Far and away, what I get is that they are looking for that exact kind of recreational pursuit. Two timely examples: we don't get too many comment forms at our branches--maybe one every couple of weeks. Last night at the gym an acquaintance stopped me to let me know he dropped a comment in the box yesterday complaining that he has to wait too long for bestsellers. He's paying good tax money and we should buy more copies of the books (we already get 50 to 150 copies of many titles distributed among our 13 locations). And this morning there was a comment form complaining that we don't have the latest software on our PCs for her to watch TV shows at abc.com. These are just two examples and the message seems clear and consistent--the taxpayers see us as a recreational location.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home