Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

12.12.2007

Adventure without Leaving Home

The great ice storm of 2007 has come and gone, and Kansas City got off fairly easily. Instead of the big freeze that they predicted, the temperature hovered just a couple degrees above 32. It's probably the only time school's been cancelled for rain. So the streets were fine, but it was cold enough to coat trees and power lines with a quarter inch of ice. One of our trees decided to fall apart, mutilating the gate to our fence in the process; it's still intact enough to keep the dogs from wandering, thankfully, so we can fix it later.

More personally significant is that fact that we woke up to darkness yesterday. I flipped the light switch to the bathroom and nothing happened. I looked around and determined our power was out. So I dug out the flashlight and a candle and got ready for work in the dimness. I tried, but couldn't really read my morning paper.

We're in the habit of not calling the power company when our lights go out, figuring somone else will so why bother them needlessly. After getting to work, however, the wife (who was at home with no school) called to say the neighbors across the street had power so we'd better call. I looked up the number and got their automated system. They asked for my account number, which I didn't have at work, so I waited to be transferred to a real person. The recorded voice told me all operators were busy, try this other number, and hung up on me. I tried the other number and got their automated system. They asked for my account number, which I didn't have at work, so I waited to be transferred to a real person. The recorded voice told me all operators were busy, try the first number, and hung up on me. Then I found a way to ask for help on their web page.

I returned home from work to a candle-lit house. It was 62 degrees. Not wanting to spend the night sitting around uncomfortably twiddling our thumbs, we went to the community center. After taking turns with the laptop, we worked out and showered, then returned home to a dinner of canned tuna and chips. We're hoping if we don't open the fridge or freezer they'll stay cold until the power is back. On the way to the gym we drove around and checked the extent of the outage. Just a few blocks. We figure we're probably not real high on the power company's priority list. It was 59 degrees when we went to bed.

It was 55 degrees when we woke up and again got ready for work in near darkness. I brought my newspaper and breakfast to work a half hour early and sat in the staff lounge for a while. I brought my phone charger to work with me. I'll be eating lunch out. I know it's entirely possible to live happily without power, but it's amazing how unprepared we are these days. I hope we don't have to deal with this too much longer.

5 Comments:

At 12/12/2007 12:08 PM, Blogger Hadrian said...

What wonderful customer service!

 
At 12/12/2007 4:51 PM, Blogger DaddyMan said...

Pink and I had plans ready in case we were out of power and had to take the girls somewhere warm to play and sleep.

Library was on our list, as well as a hotel if staying over night.

Thankfully, we didn't need it. But living through 2 inches of ice in 02 makes us take a hard look at what needs to be done.

We run into the same pickle with our power company too, usually having to wait till we get to work to report the outage.

 
At 12/12/2007 5:45 PM, Blogger scott said...

Hope your power is back on soon, Degolar! If yours is off, ours probably is too. I hope there's light and heat waiting for you when you get home from work tonight!

 
At 12/12/2007 11:16 PM, Blogger asdfasdfadfasd said...

I, too, have had that same problem with the phone company. The only difference was that when mine went out last, it was a nice sunny day with no reason for mass power outage.

I can't go to my local library when my power goes out, we are on the same grid.

When the power is out, the one thing I notice is how easily bored I become.

 
At 12/13/2007 7:58 PM, Blogger Degolar said...

Yeah, I wasn't exactly pleased with their customer service. But what am I gonna do--switch power companies?

And I had the same thought, Gobula. I was home before 6:00, it was too dark to read or do much else, so what was I gonna do?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home