Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

12.15.2007

Blech

Marvel, Del Rey Team for Manga X-men

I know it means I'm an old-timer who refuses to keep up with the times, but that is not Jean Grey in that picture, that's a little girl's dolly. I understand Manga is all the rage and I'll fight to have it at the library for our patrons who enjoy it, but I don't care for it myself. It has nothing to do with Manga's Japanese origins--I love Usagi Yojimbo, for instance--but the particular art style that is used in Manga. It's too cartoonish. More importantly, what passes for facial expressions in the style communicates absolutely nothing to me. Without the accompanying words, I can't tell what the art is attempting to show us. I know some of that is unfamiliarity with the form on my part (even though I've read a number of titles now in a continued effort to give it a try), but I don't think the genre's effectiveness should be based on learning its conventions, it should be obvious at a glance. The art is meant to convey something visual; even stylized, it should represent reality to a recognizable degree. I feel like Manga fails at this pretty miserably and I'm getting fed up with it. And I hate the idea of them ruining my X-men with it.

3 Comments:

At 12/15/2007 10:35 AM, Blogger Leelu said...

I happen to like manga, as you know, but this is awful.

Be fair, though. There are as many ways to draw manga as there are ways to draw western-style comics, so you can't really point at one and say you hate them all.

What really horrifies me is the description of what they're doing as "X-Men meets Fruits Basket." That, my friend, is a tragedy.

 
At 12/15/2007 2:58 PM, Blogger Hadrian said...

God I hate manga. The Japanese influence is ruining American comics. This is blasphemy.

 
At 12/16/2007 3:18 PM, Blogger DaddyMan said...

It all depends, but I do hate it when the two cross paths. Teen Titans (cartoon) is a good example of when it can work. It's typical Saturday morning cartoons that was with the occasional rising sun influence.

With that one show being the only exception, I prefer my animation/comics XOR style...either manga or not manga, but not both.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home