Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

4.01.2008

Don't Touch My Links

So we're using del.icio.us at work now to share useful links, but for some reason I can't get excited about it. I love the basic premise of storing links online--I've been keeping my favorites with my My Yahoo page (and on this blog) for years. But something about the way we're being encouraged to use del.icio.us doesn't sit right with me. It just seems so chaotic and indiscriminate. Constantly adding things that seem slightly useful without a second's thought and just winging tags that spring to mind. I'm much more selective with the links I keep, only wanting a few so I don't have too much clutter. And I like to organize them carefully. Tags just don't quite seem to do it. I guess I'm showing my age here and that I'm still stuck in linear thinking, but I'm not a convert yet.

(This strikes me as related to this recent conversation and this recent post.)

1 Comments:

At 4/01/2008 9:14 PM, Blogger edh said...

Some links I have added recently include:
-- Questionaut, which is a very high-quality game, educationally and graphically. I stumbled on it by accident looking for more games by the same author and was pleased to add it to our list of resources.
-- Newton's Apple, Dragonfly TV, and Exploratorium were three of 9 "best science links" from this month's SLJ. I selected the best of what I saw and added conservatively.

I realize that del.icio.us seems totally chaotic, but there is order there - trust me, it eventually emerges for everyone at different times. And this way, we have a bit more autonomy to (eventually) offer patrons a librarian-selected view of the web.

Hang in there!!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home