Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

2.03.2009

Open to Suggestions

I'm part of a training program at work, and one element is independent study and self-improvement. With an eye toward being a better leader for the organization. I need to find some stuff to read and don't really know where to start. As I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever read a nonfiction book that wasn't assigned to me. I know I'm not interested in business books or self-help books. Anyone have any favorites?

6 Comments:

At 2/03/2009 3:07 PM, Blogger Hadrian said...

What are the parameters?


domatext, n. The text provided by a doma or domas.

 
At 2/03/2009 4:38 PM, Blogger Degolar said...

Pretty self-directed at this point. Eventually we have to create an individual development plan and select readings that help us address our areas for growth, but we're not there yet.

 
At 2/03/2009 9:47 PM, Blogger scott said...

Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People is a good one.

 
At 2/04/2009 7:02 AM, Blogger Degolar said...

I suppose that one must be really good because it's been popular for so long and it's not fair of me to judge without giving it a chance, but the title has always turned me off--it seems like it's going to teach me to be this manipulative bastard or popularity-seeking social climber or something.

 
At 2/10/2009 9:46 AM, Blogger DaddyMan said...

I'm a fan of David Allen's Getting Things Done because it tackles both personal and profession life and helped me "be there" rather than thinking about what else needed to be done.

I picked up on the GTD bug based on blogs I was reading and the time, and while the book is about a GTD system, the system isn't rigid. You use what you want to use, and toss what you don't need or want. It covers topics on time management, organization, project managment, and setting priorities.

 
At 2/17/2009 5:42 PM, Blogger scott said...

GTD is a good one too! And what's wrong with being a manipulative bastard? :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home