Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

4.14.2009

Growing Up Strange

I'm reliving some old memories with the help of the book I'm currently reading, The Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons, and Growing Up Strange, by Mark Barrowcliffe. I'm sure more quotes will be coming, but we'll start with this.

Yes, I spent my youth playing Dungeons and Dragons.

Even though the game was at its height played by millions of boys and two girls around the world, most people today have a hazy idea of what it is. They might know it involves shaking a lot of funny-shaped dice, they might know that players act out the roles of warriors, wizards and priests seeking treasure and adventure in a fantasy kingdom, they may have some recollection of scares involving Satanism and the occult. One fact, however, will be clear in their minds--that everyone who ever played the game more than once was a nerd. . . .

For five years of my life between eleven and sixteen, I never stopped playing D&D, not even to eat. To this day, I eat one-handed. The other was always for a rule book, a fanzine or a fantasy novel. After that I played less frequently--maybe twice a week--until I was twenty. Today, other than for research for this book, I don't play at all. The legacy of the game, however, is still etched on my personality. . . .

Though the forces that acted on me while I was a boy were particular to me, they were products of a wider male culture which helps, if that's the right word, men form their identities. D&D was more than a craze; it was a phenomenon, spawning films, cartoon series, toys, novels and, finally--its own undoing--computer games. An estimated 20 million boys worldwide have played the game and spent over £1 billion on its products. Anything that popular with young males clearly speaks to them on a deep level and says something about them. What it says is the subject of this book.

-----

I knew you were meant to kiss girls, but there was something else that you were meant to do first, and I didn't know what that was.

-----

I thought it very likely I might have this sort of untestable power myself. It was kind of logical--no good at sport, alrightish at my studies, there must have been some field in which I excelled. Magic had to be it.

It's difficult for adults to picture just what a grip these fantasies can take on a child. There's occasionally a reminder as a kid throws himself off a roof pretending to be Batman, but mostly the interior life of children goes unnoticed.

When I say I thought I could be a wizard, that's exactly true. I really did believe I had latent magical powers, and, with enough concentration and fiddling my fingers into strange patterns, I might suddenly find how to unlock the magic inside me.

I wouldn't call this a delusion, more a very strong suspicion. I'd weighed all the evidence, and that was the likely conclusion--so much so that I had to stop myself trying to turn Matt Bradon into a fly when he was jumping up and down on the desk in French saying, "Miss, what are mammary glands?" to the big-breasted Miss Mundsley. I feared that, if I succeeded, I might not be able to turn him back. It was important, I knew, to use my powers wisely.

There's nothing that you'd have to call a psychoanalyst in for here. At the bottom line my growing interest in fantasy was just an expression of a very common feeling--"there's got to be something better than this," an easy one to have in the drab Midlands of the 1970s. I couldn't see it, though. My world was very small, and I couldn't imagine making things better incrementally, only a total escape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home