Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

7.27.2010

Life Is a Big Game of Calvinball: Work Email Edition

Me: Playing with [forthcoming catalog product]; just made my first booklist: Teen books featuring space squid as primary protagonists (or schools as primary settings)

Not Me: It's beautiful. I merely worry about the space squid.

Me: If you can find me a YA book featuring a space squid as primary protagonist, I will seriously consider changing the name.

Not Me: [Catalog link to The Cthulhu Cycle: Thirteen Tentacles of Terror]

Me: I find neither mention of space squid (or terrestrial squid) nor a Young Adult designation at that link. ;-)

Not Me: BBYA are not necessarily catalogued YA, and Cthulhu is an extra-terrestrial tentacle monster, i.e. a space squid.

Me: Is Cthulhu the primary protagonist?

Not Me: Antagonist. Of sorts. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, doncha know.

Me: So then it has no bearing on my list. ;-D

Not Me: Are you implying that the antagonist of a book has no bearing on the subject matter?

Me: Absolutely not! Great antagonists are a treasure. But they have no bearing on my list. Just like I love a good intellectual sci fi, but I wouldn't put one on a list of light historical romances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home