Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

9.27.2010

Fresh Air and Sun Are Essential

My Facebook status on Friday, when I was off because it was my weekend to work:

Late concert last night. Awake at 9. Chiropractor at 10. Holy Land Cafe at 11. Black Dog Coffeehouse at 12. Time to go wander the wilderness now at 2.

I typed that at the coffehouse, went home to change, and drove to the park, so I probably didn't get started until around 3. I chose an out of the way park in an area that hasn't fully developed yet, a park I've only been to a few times, and explored a number of trails I'd never been on before. I walked unhurriedly, stopping often to take pictures (samples below), exploring and adventuring and taking my time. It was as I was taking pictures of the setting sun that I realized I'd been at it four 4 hours. I don't know where the time went.

No Facebook status, but yesterday I enjoyed one final swim in the outdoor pool at my gym before it closed for the season. I love swimming and it's not the same indoors. I'd happily swim outside until at least the end of October.

Today I sent a status update from my phone when I stopped for a bathroom break:

. . . can't imagine how the weather today could be any more perfect. What a glorious afternoon for a bike ride. A worthwhile trade-off for working yesterday.

I left the house without a clear plan or idea where I'd be riding, but was out for a good two-and-a-half hours. My cyclometer is broken so I have no idea about distance, but I held a pretty good pace and covered a good bit of ground.

It's not just this, obviously, but this is what I do for fun.

My parents were early directors of this camp in Virginia and I spent my first 7 summers living in a cabin, hiking, singing around the campfire, and enjoying other outdoor activities. I was born in November, and learned to swim that first summer 7 months later. The year after, at a year-and-a-half, I was going off the high dive. A few years later I was jumping off rocks to swim in the river.

After that we moved to small town Kansas and my main form of transportation for the next 7 years was my bike. My first brand new bike I earned by raising the most money for a "Swim for Heart" fundraiser, in which I got people to sponsor me based on the number of laps I could swim in an hour. Dad's been a state champion cross country and track coach multiple times in two different states.

It's been a number of years since I've competed in a triathlon, but it was never really about the competition. Running/hiking, swimming, and biking are core activities for me, fundamental to my identity and being. They're how I meditate and a highly enjoyable use of my time. I'm glad they keep me fit and healthy, but it's really not about that. I just have to do them or I get depressed. And if I don't spend significant time outside on a regular basis I go a little insane.











-----

Oh, and a couple of previous posts to keep in mind:

Go outside: It helps improve your focus—even when it's cold out. . . .

Communing with nature not only lifts spirits, it helps people behave better . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home