Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

11.01.2010

Help Me See You as More Than a Label



I only link to this article because I want to reference the headline, which isn't even at the link but in the print edition of my local KC Star: "Liberals' Myths about the Tea Party, Debunked." I attended the Kansas City Satellite Rally to Restore Sanity on Saturday since I couldn't be at the actual one in D.C. It was fun to hang out with a large group of people who A) agreed that we need to be more civil about the way we interact with each other yet B) provided a broad spectrum of perspectives. I was disappointed that a number of people brought overtly political signs not endorsing a position but opposing one, as I feel that missed the point, but for the most part it was really neat.

There was one blight, though, and it goes back to that headline I referenced. For me, the point of the event was to stop demonizing each other as extremists and through stereotypes, but to hear the elements of truth in what everyone has to say. Even people who I politically oppose, like the Tea Party. I just wish they would have helped me in breaking those stereotypes. I would have gladly welcomed them to share their viewpoint if they'd done so in the spirit of the event, but instead they lived up to all my negative associations. The event coordinator, a colleague and friend, sent out messages explaining what her park permit allowed and didn't allow. One of the things in the very short list of prohibited items was PA systems and microphones. Yet an hour into the event, a group of Tea Partiers set up a PA system and started doing their best to draw attention and drown out anyone else. My friend approached to explain the mic was not allowed, showed them the permit, and politely asked them to stop. They refused. I'd like to grant the Tea Party the benefit of the doubt, but experiences like this (it's not the only one) make that very hard. We can't have a good exchange of ideas unless we find ways to be civil about it, and we'll never hear each other and learn from each other unless we do.

My sign for the rally (above) was intentionally small, because I didn't want something big that shouts at you but something that invites you to approach to engage me in dialogue. Thus the third message in green. Some of the other signs:



















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home