Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

12.12.2019

A Post About Me


Well, more about me than normal, anyway, particularly the second half. Although all of it is me in relation to others. But it won't just be a bunch of what I've recently consumed like the majority of my posts these days.

To start (following the picture), a number of things I've shared on Facebook recently. The first is from today, the others the past month or so. My wife and I have two boys; one just turned six and the other is four-and-a-half.


"Dad is so mean!"

"Only in the mornings."

So my sons decided amongst themselves as I (finally) strapped them into the car this morning. After much frustration and temper flaring. As usual. There's always something: they're busy playing or working on a project or watching a TV show or just don't feel like it, so they don't get dressed or put on their shoes or brush their teeth or eat breakfast. Or something. I tell them to hurry. They get upset and delay more. I comfort and nudge and urge. They run away and hide. I yell. Etc. Finally, we make it to the car, running late with everyone upset.

I missed most of today's distraction. Unfortunately, because I think it would have been adorable. When I was in that part of the house, I saw they had carefully folded every blanket they could find in the house and neatly stacked them on Wife's and my bed. Later, when I was in the kitchen, Younger came out to show me his outfit for "stuffie church." He had a superhero cape on backwards to look like priestly vestments. I gathered they had assembled all of their stuffed animals on our bed and were leading them in a church service.

But then it was time to leave and they weren't done. Younger had a complete, sobbing meltdown. I told him they could finish tonight, but apparently stuffie church can only happen once a week and has to be in the morning, and he couldn't handle waiting a whole week (and wasn't willing to bend his own schedule rule regardless what I said--even with a supportive call from Mom). He threw his breakfast to the floor. Older brought him a replacement and he threw that one down too. We finally got past the tears, but then he moved to anger and defiance. And Older started joining in. Etc.

Eventually we made it to the car and I was declared mean. But, at least, only in the mornings.

I still wish I'd been able to see stuffie church.


I understand the Grinch. I really do. After all, none of the Whos in Whoville would get in the shower without a huge fit/fight, nor would they get dressed after, or eat breakfast, or do anything whatsoever to get themselves ready for school, and he would literally have to grab them and carry them out to the car when it was time to leave. His heart didn't shrivel all on its own, and his fantasies of committing despicable acts had their source in reality.

-----

On the couch, trying to doze through Saturday morning kids' TV.

"Boys, stop kicking my legs off the couch."

A minute later: "Puppy, stop licking my legs."

Thirty seconds later: "Younger, stop licking my legs."

-----

"Dad, Dad, wake up! Puppy pooped in the house."

"Okay. Give me a moment to get out of bed and gather supplies, then I'll be there to clean it up."

. . .

"Aaah! I stepped in the poop!"

Good morning.


Younger: "Uncle, can you say, 'Eleven minutes?'"

"Eleven minutes."

"Did you hear that, everyone? Uncle says we still have eleven minutes before we have to go upstairs."

-----

From wife:

Younger calmly, seriously comes up to me and says, "Don't worry, Mom, I'm still going to help clean . . . it's just that the vacuum caught on fire and there was a lot of smoke coming out of it, so I'm going to take a break for a while. Don't worry; I turned it off."

"Did you run over the cord?"

"No, one of my slippers. . . . Maybe next time I should pick it up first."

-----

"Mom, Dad, look! We made a closet under Younger's bed."

Picture:


They were so proud of themselves.

One of the rules/goals from a game they improvised with their Uncle using D&D pieces, Legos, and similar:


A throne for Monkey King:


An interlude of images, then that second half I teased above.








Authenticity
Funny
Smart
Dedicated
Friend
Conscientious
Thoughtful
Team
Laid Back
Knowledge
Honest
Sincere
Organized
Thinks Deeply
Cares Deeply
Wit
Levity
Passionate
Great Reviews
Together
Strong Team
Respectful
Considerate

This is a list of descriptions that colleagues recently used to describe me at work. I don't usually revel in accolades, but thought it might be nice to keep these handy in case I need to remind myself sometime. These were the anonymous responses for me when the department was asked to provide kudos for each other.

We are so lucky to have Degolar at the library. I'm sure I said this last year and I'm going to say it again next year - Degolar brings an authenticity that is invaluable. I value authenticity more than anything. He's funny, incredibly smart, and remarkably dedicated to doing good work. I respect and admire him. I'm lucky to call him a colleague and consider him a friend.

Degolar - I'm so glad you're a lead at our location. You are so conscientious and thoughtful and I appreciate how you pull the strengths or our team together. Your laid back nature and broad knowledge of books are an amazing addition to our branch and team.

Degolar is honest and sincere. He is thoughtful in his choices and decisions. He is very organized which makes working with him go smoothly and with very little drama. He thinks deeply and cares deeply about the work that he does.

Degolar always brings a lot of wit and levity to the library. He's always passionate about the projects he works on and writes great book reviews.

Tom Riddle (one of my aliases) always reminds me not to take my job too seriously. :p

He has brought us together to be a strong team!

Degolar has really stepped up and taken on the entire kids day of the writers conference. He looped in interested staff and brought creativity and excitement to the conference.

Degolar is skilled at handling elevated patron interactions, he is respectful and considerate with the patrons involved. He is conscientious about speaking with each patron, understanding their perspective, explaining the library's perspective and policy and developing a solution. The last step is brilliant, Degolar again involves both patrons and asks if they understand the solution and can live with said solution. His approach may take a bit of time and the result usually is a deescalated situation and patrons who have been listened to and treated respectfully.

Okay, now I'll likely go back to being more


:-)







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home