Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

8.07.2007

Why Read?

I just read Harold Bloom's criticism of Harry Potter. While I don't think he makes his point very effectively, he basically says that reading poor quality literature is no better than not reading, and that Harry Potter is poorly written. He doesn't really explain what he thinks is so awful about the books except that Rowling uses lots of cliches. So I guess his criteria for good literature is that the author must have originality and artistry in his or her use of language. I can see that, I guess, but I take a more pragmatic view. Language is a tool meant to communicate meaning. If a book speaks to me, I don't care whether the language is original or not, what matters is that it moves me. The author has made a point, artistic or not. Of course, I also don't make my living judging writing the way Bloom does. I feel no need to categorize what I read as good or bad, valuable or not. I try to take each book for what it is and get as much value and enjoyment out of it as possible, not get too critical. Because of this, I have trouble explaining what I like about Harry Potter or defending it against someone like Bloom, but I read a lot and know she is a good storyteller and has written an enjoyable tale. That is good enough for me.

As I said, language is about communication. A good writer is one who can effectively communicate his or her message so that the focus is on the content, emotions, connection, and meaning. Good writing is that which is not noticed for it's language, but that disappears and stays out of the way so the focus is on the thoughts conveyed. I don't know if this blog is a good demonstration of my capabilities, but I've been told many times I'm a good writer. How did I become an effective writer? Not by carefully picking apart lots of literature--although I have done that as an English major, I haven't made a habit of doing so outside of school--but by reading a lot. Not necessarily reading a lot of the best literature, but by reading lots of Harry Potter and other things that appeal to me. Usually science fiction and fantasy. So as a teacher and librarian, that's what I advocate: read a lot. It doesn't matter what you read, so long as you read. Your vocabulary will grow, your grammar will improve, and you will become a more effective writer. It doesn't hurt if you think about the writing some of the time and intentionally try to learn from it, but it will happen to an extent unconsciously as well. That's why I love books like Harry Potter and Captain Underpants. They make reading fun. They motivate people to read more. Reading the classics may improve your higher culture, but reading lots will make you a better communicator and that's what's essential.

I don't have anything in front of me and am too lazy to search it out for a blog post, but I've come across plenty of data which proves the better a reader and writer you are the better you will do in school and the more likely you are to be successful in life. Emotional intelligence--your ability to interact with people effectively--is most important, but reading ability is not far behind. So while I have my doubts about our mission as a public library and sometimes question the fact that our main purpose seems to be providing entertainment for the community instead of hardcore information and classic literature, I can't ultimately fault what we are doing. I'd be willing to bet that kids who are regular library users in any form end up more successful on the whole than those who aren't. Bloom doesn't know what he's talking about.

6 Comments:

At 8/07/2007 1:07 PM, Blogger DaddyMan said...

I agree. I never had a passion to read until I was in middle school, and one of my peers had me read a couple pages from what he was reading. Fast forward to High School, and the class I looked forward to the most was Creative Writing so we could practice the craft in a fun almost non-academic fashion.

Scoot up to college and I didn't ready as much due to education (oxymoron?), and I almost lost the craft, but once again, a buddy saved me with some recommended reading.

The more you read, the more you enjoy, and the more you learn. Who hasn't looked up an obscure fact based on books they read? Enter research. Sure, it starts out for fun, but it doesn't take long to get into the nitty gritty details of actual research.

 
At 8/07/2007 2:39 PM, Blogger Hadrian said...

In my humble opinion Mr. Bloom had decided what to make of Harry Potter before ever picking up the first book (though I'm sure Gobula will appreciate his sentiments... except for the unkind words about Stephen King).

Sometimes what is thought of as "great literature" is anything but. As B.R. Myers so eloquently argued in "A Reader's Manifesto" prose that is difficult to read is not, in and of itself, an indicator of depth or substance. Sometimes, it's just bad writing.

Which is not to argue that all literature is created equal. It certainly isn't. I enjoy a Doc Savage novel as much as the next guy (actually probably more), but don't think of it as particularly praise-worthy art. It isn't. But then again, in my opinion, neither is E. Annie Proulx. I think much of the animosity towards Rowling is motivated by two things-- her lack of pretension (she never argues that she's writing classic literature), and her commercial success.

 
At 8/07/2007 4:11 PM, Blogger Tiger said...

I think he was reading way more into some things than he should have. I hadn't read that review before, but it just strikes me as a bit snobbish.

 
At 8/07/2007 9:28 PM, Blogger Degolar said...

Yes, he definitely comes across as a snob.

 
At 8/08/2007 4:41 PM, Blogger asdfasdfadfasd said...

The one thing I can say about Rowling is that she is getting kids to read, at least. I'm not a fan of her "used toilet paper + binding glue = book" method, but I can't completely fault her. While there is something to be said about reading "classic" literature, reading in general is still a very good thing. Reading some pulp novel is way more mind-expanding than watching anything on VH1 or playing WoW, and it really helps kids develop and learn to appreciate a good imagination.

I disagree with this guy, because I don't like anyone telling people how or what to read. That is one of the main reasons I don't like Harry Potter: everyone says read it, so I instinctively draw away. I have often said that my statements and opinions apply only to myself, and this is just as true when I bash Rowling. Just because I can't stand it doesn't mean everyone else should feel the same way.

Of course it sounds snobbish, he's a fucking Yale professor.

 
At 8/11/2007 4:30 PM, Blogger scott said...

I think of Rowling's story as the extension and updating of myth. Just like George Lucas, Rowling is drawing on historical archetypes (the mentor, the quest, etc). She's making this timeless quest current and relevant.

Some of it might be considered silly, or trite, or cliche, but one can't argue that as the children grow, so does Rowling's storytelling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home