Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

3.10.2009

Reactions and Reflections

I enjoyed watching Watchmen on opening day (not night) on an IMAX screen. Crowding was minimal for my strategically chosen time. It's hard for me to be objective about the quality since I know all of the depth from the book that was missing and was just excited about seeing it all brought to life, but I enjoyed myself. Of course the book is better quality, but I wasn't disappointed. If I had to pick one thing to gripe about, though, it would be the fight scenes. They were too cartoonish and easy for our heroes. The whole point of the book is that despite their chosen profession/hobby they are all ordinary, flawed people with no real powers (except Dr. Manhattan, but even he has his issues), just a vigilante fetish. Sure they're trained athletes and all that, but even the most honed Kung Fu masters/boxers/expert combatants can't do what these people did. They took out every bad guy with a single punch or kick, usually breaking bones in the process. Totally unrealistic, but more importantly totally undermining a major theme of the book (and movie). My wife and a friend who both hadn't read the book were really confused by this aspect of the movie and couldn't figure out if they had super powers or not. So of course there are details to nitpick, but this is my only real gripe.

That train of thought also brings to mind a comment that Aerin recently made over at Scott's new House Rules blog: I think the idea of the heroic character is someone who stands apart, and is greater than the surrounding press of sentient life. I can see that, but it's not really what appeals to me. I've said something similar before in comparing Star Wars to Lord of the Rings, that instead of the hero destined for greatness from birth I prefer the extraordinary courage of ordinary Hobbits when faced with extraordinary circumstances. I've also said in conversations I'm not so drawn to Superman because I can't relate to being invincible. Not even Batman so much because I've never had unlimited wealth. Spider-Man's more my style because I know what it's like to be a teen nerd. And maybe it even goes back to my whole fixation with the nurture side of the nature vs. nurture debate.

When I play a game like D&D, I don't really want a superhuman heroic type, but an average person of humble beginnings who has developed into something special much like anyone could under the right circumstances. Someone who could be me if I had been in those circumstances. Sure I want to role-play a different personality, try life as an elf or dwarf, control powerful magics and hone superior fighting skills, but all of that as the result of discipline and hard work and gradual growth. And within the realm of logic and limits. I like starting my character as a first level weakling instead of jumping right in at higher levels because I want to experience the journey more than the hero destination. I want my character to be someone I can relate to.

2 Comments:

At 3/10/2009 10:00 PM, Blogger Hadrian said...

I'm not reading this post out of fear of spoilers.

 
At 3/11/2009 2:13 PM, Blogger David Crowe said...

No spoilers. He's just continuing an ongoing debate we were having about the while human/superhuman or human/more-than-human debate we were having a while back.

I for one agree that coming from humble beginnings and becoming great is a great way to play it. It feels more like real life (in a fantasy world). You don't have anything special about you to start with, except a passion to do or be more, and then, one day, that passion is what drives you and that becomes the thing that makes you special, makes you different. You aren't superhuman strong, you aren't an better than anyone else with your same level of training, but you have something the others don't. You have drive and that is what makes you stand out above the rest.

Then again, throwing people across the room because you feel like it and doing it without breaking a sweat is also wicked awesome.

:D

Like Jonie Mitchell said, "I see both sides now."
And like John Lennon said, "This is one of my latest songs. Love is-" BANG BANG BANG


word ver
abratise (n.) - the younger form of abracadabra.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home