Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

3.01.2009

From Sherman Alexie's

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

But something magical happened to me when I went to Reardan.

Overnight I became a good player.

I suppose it had something to do with confidence. I mean, I'd always been the lowest Indian on the reservation totem pole - I wasn't expected to be good so I wasn't. But in Reardan, my coach and the other players wanted me to be good. They needed me to be good. They expected me to be good. And so I became good.

I wanted to live up to the expectations.

I guess that's what it comes down to.

The power of expectations.

And as they expected more of me, I expected more of myself, and it just grew and grew.

-----

"You read a book for the story, for each of its words," Gordy said, "and you draw your cartoons for the story, for each of the words and images. And, yeah, you need to take that seriously, but you should also read and draw because really good books and cartoons give you a boner."

5 Comments:

At 3/01/2009 1:02 PM, Blogger David Crowe said...

Heh heh. He said boner.
Isn't that the singer in U2?

sessem (n.) - A spice used in conjunction with Oepin and Eeh to open magical caves.

 
At 3/03/2009 4:11 PM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Hello!

I and a coworker want to come up to KC on Friday (afternoon) to watch the Watchmen in IMAX. Which theatre should I look for?

PS: Is your crew planning a premiere outing? We could coordinate!

 
At 3/04/2009 2:15 PM, Blogger Degolar said...

The AMC Studio 30 in Olathe (119th & I-35) is where I usually go and they have an IMAX. I haven't looked at showtimes yet, though, and was planning on just seeing how the day works out.

 
At 3/04/2009 5:05 PM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Awesome! The closest IMAX I could find through Fandango was sending us into KCMO. I'll search the AMC 30 theatre. Showtimes weren't being listed as of this morning.

Thanks!

verification word: spiterat, the vengeful vermin?

 
At 3/05/2009 9:09 AM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Success!

11:25am at AMC 30 IMAX. There is a 3:30-ish show as well on Friday. But we had plans tomorrow night and could stay that late.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home