Through the Prism

After passing through the prism, each refraction contains some pure essence of the light, but only an incomplete part. We will always experience some aspect of reality, of the Truth, but only from our perspectives as they are colored by who and where we are. Others will know a different color and none will see the whole, complete light. These are my musings from my particular refraction.

12.10.2009

IMing

[13:03] #1: now there's an idea
[13:06] #2: I'm full of 'em.
[13:06] #2: Mostly bad ones...
[13:08] #1: bad meaning not effective or bad meaning evil? because my operating assumption when dealing with you is the latter.
[13:08] #1: ;-)
[13:08] #2: Six of one, baker's dozen of the other.
[13:10] #1: mmmm, not so sure about that. i don't think ineffective evil would be worth my time.
[13:12] #2: And how evil is that?
[13:14] #1: we really needn't concern ourselves with the likes of Moist, because his kind are harmless enough. better to focus our attention on Bad Horse and his ilk.
[13:15] #2: But isn't the evilest of evil the insidious grey of apathy?
[13:15] #2: Which is worse, the villain that wants to devour your soul, or the accountant who denies that you have one?
[13:18] #1: but the only target of Moist's apathy is himself; he doesn't inflict it upon anyone. if someone is effective at spreading apathy, then he's not ineffectively evil.
[13:19] #2: I wasn't referring to Moist, specifically. Just saying that Bad Horse is, perhaps, not the prime target.
[13:21] #1: off-shoot consideration - if an evil foe inspires people to band together to fight for good, is the net effect better than no evil foe at all? some harm that leads to greater good better than apathetic normalcy?
[13:22] #2: People do shine the brightest when there's a common foe to unite against.

That actually makes me sad. It'd be better to shine WITHOUT having some tragedy befalling humanity.
[13:23] #1: exactly
[13:24] #1: which goes back to your point that spreaders of apathy may be the evilest evil of all
[13:28] #2: There ya go.
[13:28] #2: Evil is good.
[13:30] #1: didn't we just define evil, in its worst form, as apathy? so apathy is good?
[13:30] #2: No, no. Garden-variety EVIL is good. Greyish apathy is evil.
[13:35] #1: ah, excellent. let's make the world a better place and go kill some people.
[13:36] #1: enough of this sitting around . . .
[13:36] #2: Excellent!
_____

[18:50] #1: we have fun being nonsensical that way
when we don't have anything particular to say
more often than not it leads to logic games
but sometimes insights that aren't so lame

3 Comments:

At 12/13/2009 8:58 PM, Blogger David Crowe said...

This has to be one of 2 people. I know #1 is Degolar, that's kind of a given. #2 was either Gobula or Leelu and I was leaning Leelu.

And she confirmed it.
Wow. I can't believe I know you 2 so well. I mean I know one of you is my wife and all, but still. I can't believe I knew it was Leelu.

Wait...
I think I missed something there...

glente - Dyslexic kindness.

 
At 12/13/2009 10:30 PM, Blogger Hadrian said...

Yeah, I kinda figured that was who it was too. And I'm not married to either one of them.

 
At 12/16/2009 1:28 PM, Blogger Aerin said...

I would say that as typically good and evil are subjective judgements that apathy is not evil, but rather totally amoral; apathy never killed anyone, it just prevented them from being saved. I would say the 'most evil' is the evil that purports to be good and convinces others to do its work thinking that they are doing what is righteous while in reality they are furthering the unspoken ambition of the original evil because it is not just evil, but it is perverting the good intentions of those who are now committing evil acts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home